Oh my, what?! On August 3rd, Handknit is hosting our very first Yarn Swap! Dive into your stash and offer up some choice yarns that you no longer covet, but that you think someone else might lust after. Every 50 gram + ball you bring will entitle you to a ticket that you can redeem for some beauty yarn from someone else’s stash.
Here are the Rules:
- This is a free event, from 11-3 on August 3rd. For each 50g ball you bring to the swap, you’ll receive a ticket which you can redeem for another 50g ball. Just check in with one of our super-friendly staff members to submit your yarn and collect your tickets. Customers can also purchase any 50g of yarn for $5 each without a ticket. All monetary proceeds from this event will go to sacha.ca, a local Hamilton charity that supports survivors of sexual assault while working to end violence in our community.
- Balls should be minimum 50 grams, and can be in balls, cakes, or skeins.
- Any balls smaller than 50 grams can be packaged with other small balls to add up to 50g, in a clear plastic bag (ziplock bags are acceptable)
- Fibre content must be at least 70% natural fibres
- Weight classification if possible, but not necessary.
- Label each ball with: weight in grams, fibre content, weight classification if possible, and if possible yarn brand and/or name. You can use any kind of paper label. For packaged smaller balls, information can be combined on one label.
- Finally, WE ASK THAT YOU PLEASE INSPECT CAREFULLY ANY YARN YOU PLAN TO BRING TO THE YARN SWAP, for any indication of moths or other critters. Look out for irregular breaks in your yarn, areas of silky webbing, eggs that look like sand, and/or live larvae/clothes moths. For a more detailed reference on identifying moth infestation, check out the link on our website Event Page. As a preventative measure, we also ask that you consider moth prevention aftercare once you bring your new yarn home.
Starting July 26th, we'll have clear cellophane bags and paper labels available to all, as well as the use of our scale, and swift and ball winder in store.
IMPORTANT: Click Here to download our Clothes Moth Info Sheet.